It is our duty as peace officers and members of Blacks in Law enforcement of America to continue the fight for freedom, justice, and equality for all citizens. We have always been advocates of law enforcement professionals by establishing continuous training and support for our officers. As black law enforcement professionals, we pledge our time, honor, and talent for the uplifting of our communities.
In keeping with our mission, it is with great pride that Blacks in Law Enforcement of America, a national organization of Black Law Enforcement Professionals, will support U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders on his run to be the Democratic Nominee for President of the United States of America.
As a national organization of Black Law Enforcement Professionals, US Senator Sanders is the only candidate that has addressed the institutional and social injustices against black, brown and indigenous Americans as violence’s, including, physical, political, legal, economic and environmental are perpetuated.
As Black Law Enforcement Professionals, we believe that Law Enforcements’ purpose is to protect and serve. Our leaders should not try to contain the poor, the economically disadvantaged or to take advantage of those disenfranchised. We need to have a true voice in the social matters and injustices of today. Senator Sanders has been vocal in the issues of:
- The need of police forces that reflect the diversity of our communities
- Increasing civilian oversight of police departments
- To federally fund and require body cameras for law enforcement officers
- Establishing a new federal model where police training programs are the focus of every local government
- Creating a police culture that allows for good officers to report the actions of bad officers without fear of retaliation and allows for a department to follow through on such reports.
We support Senator Sanders because his platform is to pursue national policies that value the people of color and the institution of responsible policing in America. We are supporting a candidate that has supported the minority community when it wasn’t popular. We are supporting a man who has a proven history on the front lines in the battle of our civil liberties.
Damon K. Jones
New York Representative
Blacks In Law Enforcement of America